Wednesday, March 13, 2013

# 3 - Akai MPC 5000

I cant say enough good things about akai...

When I got her (^_^) I already had a few samplers that were serving their purpose (and I basically didn't need another addition) but I was looking for a synthesizer...
I was also tiring of the time it takes to set up a midi session and the process of loading samples in to multiple machines only to get side tracked by some thing on the sequencer side. (not to mention the electricity bills associated).
...I obviously did some reading up about the machine, specs and reviews etc.



The claims were correct the MPC 5k is pretty much a studio in a box, and when I say studio I mean studio...
Studio quality multitracking, internal mixing, processing and fx, and editing.
And then there is the synthesizer - which I wont go in to here.
Last of all there is the actual MPC sampling seuqencer at the heart of the machine which is the main reason people get this machine but in my case an additional bonus.

Some how before the MPC5000 come along I had never actualy used an MPC, my only experience coming from either my S20 and Korg/Yamaha grooveboxes, or rack samplers and so had no appreciation for the whole MPC style production.  I envisaged using it as the mother of all sampling, synthesizing, multitracking sound modues as part of my studio, or maybe using it as the heart of my Live Techno set up ...and of couse recording beats.
It wasn't long before I realised it was making a lot of other equipment redunadant.

To be honest I struggle to find flaws with this machine and when I push myself I can only find one...
There is a change to the workflow that happens when using an MPC, the limitations are that of the sounds and the way sequences are put together (which always changes with new arrangements and sounds.) these limits are lifted as soon as you connect the MPC to an external software sequencer though.



Sample Transfer
The USB transfer of samples etc makes all the difference. Tracks or sounds created elsewhere can be transeffer to it and likewise recordings can be lifted off the 5000 and dropped in to an editor or sequencer to be worked on.
Backing up & transferring sample libraries makes perfect sense too, and when your talking about 80Gb or more of data USB wins over floppy/SDcard/ZIP or MIDI DUMP lol

The Sequencer
I think its safe to say that ever since Akai released the first MPC everyone else has emulated that, and so having used things like Korg Electribes, Yamaha Grooveboxes and even the S20 I wasn't expecting to notice anything in the actual feel of the sequencer - after all they are just arranging totes right?
Well I did notice the difference and its all about swing..
I guess having a big ass display and a button to quickly switch between auto quantising helps, but there is also the way the phrases can be strung together very quickly and the fluid way that differing tempo phrases can be put together,  ...and that is just when in Step Mode!

I wont say anymore about the sequencer only that you simply have to experience it..

***unfinished**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!
Please don't use the comment to spam with buy links as these get removed... All other links are okay.